Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
Angela Ritchie, Former Deli Manager, 16th & Madison
January. We’ve started again: a new year, resolutions, commitments, a clean slate. One of my resolutions this year was to do more kitchen experimenting and get out of my comfort zone of cooking!
Something I don’t often think to make on my own are granola bars. How hard could it be, right?
Being a food nerd, and recipe detective, I decided to take on the challenge and see how I could create delicious raw, gluten-free energy bars and save a few dollars in the process.
- 2 tablespoons ground golden flax
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2-3 tablespoons raw honey
- Grind flax seeds, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, raw cacao powder, and cinnamon in a food processor or coffee grinder. Place in food processor if not already, then add the nuts. Grind until the nuts are finely chopped.
- Then add your dried fruit and blend until combined. Finally add honey to the food processor and blend until the mixture sticks together.
- Pour this sticky, nutty mixture onto a baking sheet and form them into small granola bars with your hands. (Another option would be to press the mixture into a 9×9-inch pan, freeze, and then cut with a knife like you would a pan of brownies.)
- Wrap these in individual bags, pop them in the freezer to keep them fresher longer, and pull them out to take to work in the morning or for a snack in the evening. Yum Central!
This recipe is totally customizable. Add your favorite dried fruits (think cherries, cranberries, apricots), nuts (raw or roasted), or seeds, make them vegan by subbing maple syrup for honey, leave out the cacao… it’s all good and good for you!
If you try this recipe, share your version with us on social media!