Peach Ginger Crisp
Melissa G., Staff Accountant + strongtogether.coop
Melissa's favorite peach recipe is an adaption of a recipe from StrongerTogether.coop. Crystallized ginger kicks this peach crisp up a notch. Serve with a dollop of ice cream or sweet tea with mint for a perfect summertime dessert.
- 5 cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen (about 6 large peaches)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
Melissa: I altered it to use the Ginger Chips from The Ginger People and used spelt instead of oat and cassava instead of wheat, plus extra cinnamon. It can be easily manipulated to accommodate different food intolerance.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil or butter an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the sliced peaches with the ground ginger and maple syrup until coated. Place mixture into the baking dish.
- Mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and crystallized ginger. Blend in the butter pieces with your fingers or a pastry cutter until crumbly. Spread the topping evenly over the peaches. Bake for about 45 minutes, until peaches are bubbling and the crisp topping is lightly browned. Let the crisp set for 15 minutes before serving.
This classic summertime dessert is often served with ice cream or sweet tea with mint—a festive way to end any barbecue or picnic.