Indie Month Highlight: Indie Kombuchas Galore!
Kombucha is a fizzy, fermented beverage of black tea and sugar that has exploded in popularity in the last ten years. It is fermented by a SCOBY, or Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast, which contains beneficial organisms that turn sugar into healthy acids and probiotics. It has a slightly sweet and tangy flavor and can be flavored in many ways after the fermentation process. People love it because they report it supports increased energy and better digestion. Try one, or several, of the ten brands of Kombucha we offer, all from independent companies:
- Capitol Hill's own CommuniTea makes kombucha that is dry, bubbly and bright, not too sweet and not vinegary. They use biodynamic tea, use all reusable containers and distribute only in the Greater Seattle area.
- Ballard’s Puget Sound Kombucha Co. makes 100% raw and organic kombucha which is flavored by the tea itself instead of through additives and juices.
- Tacoma’s Rainbow Cloud Kombucha is 100% raw and was voted “Best Kombucha in the Northwest” at the 2016 Oregon Fermentation Festival.
- Bainbridge Island’s Iggy's Herbal Honeybrew Kombucha is brewed with 100% direct-sourced local wildflower honey from Western Washington, all Biodynamic direct-sourced green tea and ethically wildcrafted herbs.
- Portland, Oregon’s Townshend's Tea Company makes 100% raw and organic Brew Dr. Kombucha with the same great tea blends they developed for use in their eight tea houses.
- Bend, Oregon’s Humm Kombucha focuses on creating a variety of great flavors that everyone can enjoy, like Coconut Lime, Blueberry Mint and Hopped Grapefruit.
- GT's Living Foods makes 100% raw, organic kombucha using heirloom cultures descended from a Himalayan Mother SCOBY received by their founder in 1995.
- Kevita’s Master Brew Kombucha comes in five flavors like Mango Habenero and Dragonfruit Lemongrass and has 80mg of organic caffeine in every bottle.
- Health-Ade Kombucha is hand-crafted in small batches using organic and raw ingredients, flavored with cold-pressed juice, fermented 100% in glass and packaged in UV-protective amber bottles.
- Farmhouse Culture makes a variety of fermented products, from Kraut Krisps to Gut Shots and Gut Punches, probiotic beverages in a variety of creative flavors.
Indie Month is Central Co-op’s month-long celebration of the independent, innovative businesses that make many of the fine products we sell.
Date: Monday July 24, 2017
Category: In The Co-op
[ Blog Home ]