From the Central Co-op kitchen
We love this version of kugel - it's a tender, cabbage-filled casserole that's almost a bread pudding.
- 1 medium cabbage, green or red, sliced thin
- 2 eggs, separated (see note)
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup matzo meal
- Steam the cabbage for 15 minutes and drain in a colander.
- Place the cabbage and add egg yolks, butter, salt, sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl, and mix together.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Mix matzo meal with the egg whites, and gently fold into the cabbage mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a greased ceramic pan, until lightly browned on top.
Note: Make sure that you separate the whites and the yolks well. If there is yolk in the whites, they will not beat into stiff peaks. They will also beat more quickly if they're at room temperature.
Keywords: Passover, kugel, vegetarian, side dishes, cabbage