Fava Bean and Asparagus Primavera
3 spring onions, bulbs and stems separated, thinly sliced
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 cup shelled fava beans (~1lb of pods)
1/2lb asparagus, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
6oz morel or cremini mushrooms, halved if large
1 cup crème fraiche
1 tsp lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Cook spring onion bulbs and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling pan occasionally until golden brown, ~3min. Transfer bulbs to paper towel to drain, season with salt. Set aside 2 tbsp onion oil.
- Combine spring onion bulbs, chives, and 1 tbsp lemon zest in small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook fava beans in boiling water until tender, ~2min. Transfer to a colander and set in a bowl of ice water. Drain and peel.
- Return water to boil and cook asparagus until tender, ~1min. Drain and add to fava beans.
- Boil pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1 ½ cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Heat reserve onion oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add spring onion stems, garlic, and mushrooms; season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until all are tender, ~4min. Stir in crème fraiche, ½ cup pasta cooking liquid, and remaining 1 tsp lemon zest; bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta and ½ cup pasta cooking liquid and cook, tossing often and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed to help finish cooking pasta, until pasta is al dente and sauce is thickened and coats pasta, about 5 minutes. Add fava beans, asparagus, and lemon juice and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with spring onion, chives, and lemon zest mixture.
Keywords: Asparagus, Fava Bean