Summer Pea Salad with Basil
Susanna Schultz, Marketing Director
This recipe is simply wonderful in the summer--great to make ahead and store it in the refrigerator. Serve chilled on a bed of greens with toast and poached eggs, or as a side salad at a summer BBQ!
Treat the measurements as guidelines and find the proportions that suit your taste buds best. Green onions work wonderfully in place of red onions for a less pungent flavor.
For a spicy variation: In the blender, switch out the lemon for a lime and switch out the basil for cilantro and add some pickled jalapenos (as many as you can stand!)
Adapted from Green Plate Rule
- 1 pound frozen peas (available bulk in our freezer!)
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ripe haas avocado
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves (washed)
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boiling. Drop the peas in and stir until they thaw and turn bright green--don’t let them cook! Drain them in a colander and run cool water over them to stop the cooking. Leave them to drain.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the avocado, lemon, and basil leaves until smooth. If it’s too thick add a smidge of fresh olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the peas and onion together, and then add the avocado mixture. Stir gently until the peas are coated in the avocado and serve with fresh basil garnish.