Baked apples are easy to make and are a delicious way to enjoy Washington's signature fruit. The best apples arrive in the fall, when the year's new crop are available, but a baked apple is wonderful any time the weather is cool.
- 4 large baking apples, such as Honeycrisp or Granny Smith
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and core apples, leaving enough of the core at the base of the apple to contain the filling.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and raisins in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Add filling to each apple, and top with a pat of butter.
- Place the apples upright in a baking dish. Bake until the apples are soft and the filling is browned, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the apples.
Enjoy these treats as-is or with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
If you try this recipe, share your version with us on social media!