Sweet Potato & Pear Soup with Sage
Love and Lemons
Enjoy this healthy one-pot soup in fall or winter. Full of sweet potato, sage, pear, and curry spices, it is perfect for holidays and vegan & gluten free.
Recipe by Love and Lemons.
- 1 large sweet potato (just under 1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ripe pear, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 4 sage leaves
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ cup coconut milk (I used regular, light would also work)
- ¼ cup plain Skyr or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup regular or light coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Squeeze of lemon
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400. Poke holes in the sweet potato, wrap in foil, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until fork tender. The timing will depend on the size of your potato.
- When the sweet potato is done, let cool slightly, peel, and cut into messy cubes. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, garam masala, and paprika and cook for one minute. Add the cooked potato cubes and the raw chopped pear and cook for two minutes more. Add the water, salt, sage, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a large blender and puree, working in batches if necessary. Stir in the coconut milk, taste, and adjust seasonings. If it’s too thick, add more water. For a creamier soup, add more coconut milk.
- Make the yogurt-coconut cream: combine the yogurt, coconut milk, lemon zest and juice, and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve on the side.