½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
8 oz cremini mushrooms, finely chopped (2 cups)
½ cup all-purpose flour
4-5 cups vegetable stock, as needed
4 cloves black garlic
1 tsp soy sauce or liquid aminos, to taste
2 Tbsp mild yellow miso
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. In a large skillet, heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms, and black garlic; cook, stirring, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Slowly whisk in vegetable stock, a little at a time, until a smooth sauce forms.
4. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes until thickened.
5. Season with soy sauce, miso, salt and pepper. Serve as is, or pass it through a fine mesh strainer.