12 oz fresh cranberries
1 ½ cups sugar
1 strip of orange or lemon zest
2 tbsp water
1 orange, unpeeled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tart apple
½ cups chopped toasted pecans
1. Put the cranberries in a medium saucepan and transfer ½ cup of the cranberries to a small bowl.
2. Add 1 cup sugar, the strip of zest, and the water to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries are soft- about 10 minutes.
3. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the cranberries burst- about 12 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the reserved ½ cup cranberries. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add more sugar if desired.
5. Quarter the unpeeled orange and apple; remove and discard the seeds. Roughly chop the fruit with ½ cup sugar in a food processor.
6. Fold the orange and apple mixture into cranberry sauce along with the chopped toasted pecans. Let cool to room temperature before serving.